nikkismalls

nikkismalls

Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright

Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright - Justine Saracen A tricky rating situation. If I'm rating it against traditional Lesfic (which this book absolutely is NOT), it's off the charts. If I'm rating it against mainstream fiction, it's a 4+.

I actually read the blurb when I first saw the book but didn’t remember any of it when I picked it up to read. I’m glad I didn’t, as I felt a few important plot points were given away in the blurb. The author does an excellent job focusing primarily on the arcs of the four main characters set against the tumultuous timeline. The book is very visual, with nods to photography and propaganda films that were integral to the Nazi party. One of the biggest images that happens near the beginning (after the Triumph of Will) is the portrayal of 13 individuals in a photo reminiscent of the Last Supper. These characters will be revisited throughout the story, but most of the book is told from Katja’s perspective, with some time devoted to all four major characters. However, the perspective does shift eventually to nearly all the original 13 characters, which I found jarring at first, but got used to. I can understand why the author chose to jump to the different perspectives, as all characters in the story undergo some form of transformation in order to survive. Whether it be through silence/ambivalence, subterfuge, forced recruitment, or outright terrorism.

Highly recommended.

I did a dual review with another person on the review site. See it at C-Spot